Australian Researchers’ Mobility Portal

Passports & visas

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) issues passports, both in Australia and overseas. DFAT, however, does not issue visas for overseas travel. Only the countries you plan to visit can provide up-to-date information about their visa requirements.

Note that several countries now have special visas for researchers, such as the European Union’s Scientific Visa.

If you will be taking your family overseas with you, you will need to determine what their status will be in the countries you will be working in. In some cases your family will not automatically be granted a working visa. The relevant embassies will be able to provide you with the appropriate information.

Embassy contacts

Before heading overseas for work, you should contact the relevant Australia embassy to make sure you are aware of necessary requirements for entry and work in your destination country. A complete list of embassy contacts can be found on DFAT’s website.

Health insurance

Medicare benefits are not available for medical treatment received overseas, however, the Australian Government has signed Reciprocal Health Care Agreements which means that as an Australian resident you are entitled to assistance with the cost of medical treatment in: New Zealand, The United Kingdom, The Republic of Ireland, Sweden, The Netherlands, Finland, Italy, Malta, Norway. You are strongly recommended to take out suitable insurance covering you for the period that you will be away. Reciprocal Health Care Agreements do not replace the need for private travel health insurance.


If you plan to drive overseas you should obtain an international driver’s permit (IDP). An IDP is proof that you hold a valid driver's licence in your home country and should be carried with a valid Australian driver's licence. IDPs are issued through state and territory motoring clubs.

Currency exchange